Clock

apkok

Clock

Post by apkok » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:41 pm

I know this is a topic that has been discussed before but things might have changed.

In common with many other P2 owners, my clock doesn't work. I've removed the clock from the dashboard, it wasn't connected so no great surprise it's not going! I haven't dismantled the clock but I would guess a previous owner has had a go. The adjustment handle is missing and other things that don't look right lead me to conclude that fiddling has taken place.

The clock will need repairing rather than servicing-who do you recommend for this work please? I know fitting a quartz movement might be frowned on, but as long as the face and hands remain original I'm not too bothered.

Any comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Rover Ron

Re: Clock

Post by Rover Ron » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:09 pm

I fitted a quartz movement to mine several years ago. The only problems were the hole in the dial was too small so I scanned & printed a dial onto thin card and used that, also the holes in the old hands weren't big enough for the quartz movement. It was an easy enough job to cut some new hands out of thin sheet brass with enough brass to have larger holes. I know it's not original but I haven't done anything that can't be put back to how it was.

apkok

Post by apkok » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks Ron, that sounds like a viable solution.

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:46 am

Here is some more information

apkok

Post by apkok » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for all the information. I'm still pondering how to resolve this problem.

I know it's the coward's way out but has anyone had a clock repaired by Speedy Cables? They did for a very good job for me about three or four year's ago on a capillary type water temperature gauge off a Standard Vanguard. The tube had broken; the gauge came back looking like new, in a short space of time. Obviosly the P2 electro-mechanical clock is a more sophisticated instrument. If not Speedy Cables can anyone recommend another repairer?

Once again, thanks for the interest and input, Alan

lakesrally

Post by lakesrally » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I have used www.speedograph-richfield.com/ for repairs to the speedo and an oil pressure gauge for my 1925 Rover and they did a good job. You could ask them about your clock, they are very helpful over the phone.