best way to store & clean the silver on headlights

DenGal

best way to store & clean the silver on headlights

Post by DenGal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:22 am

Having just had my mid 30s car headlights restored I need to find a way of keeping them safe and sound from the humid weather we sometimes get here in Perth West Oz. A year or so ago I had a set of headlights and spotlights from my Rover P2 re-chromed and silvered. I stored these wrapped in tissue paper then newspaper only to check them last week to find the silver had succumbed to moisture and now has darken areas that will need a polish. Talking about cleaning the silver what method or cleaner would you recommend? regards Den.

Dirkco

Re: best way to store & clean the silver on headlights

Post by Dirkco » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 am

Hi Den,

You can apply a silicone to the silver and this should keep the oxidation from occurring.

How about about an update on your projects

All the Best for the New Year
Dirk in the States

DenGal

Post by DenGal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 am

Hi Dirk,
Thanks for the reply. Would you know what make of silicone as I found afew different types out there. Looks like the easest way of mininising and scratches on the selverd reflectors is to use Tarn-Off, Tarn-x is the same thing. I have a set of headlights from a P3 that I will use to find the best way. Then I'll try the silcone CRC make one not sure if this is the type you're thing of.

All the cars are on hold untill I get this house sold and the new one set up. After saying that an update on the (DG) the chassis , engine, all the running gear back and front axel ect are in and done with the body just needing a bit more fettling then that's ready for paint. Small thing still need sorting such as small parts for chrome and how Im going to fit a cover. Wiring harness is made which was the most enjoyable job so far. Seats are made but need upholster along with floor mat's and door cards, dash is made and fitted with the guages restored and waiting in a box however I need to rechome the Rover dash and of course fit a windscreen. All in all not much more todao but time and money have put things on hold.

Den.

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Den,

Yes, CRC silicone is just fine to use.

How about posting some pictures of your project

Hope you are well
Dirk in the states