P2 Exhaust

peter rimes

P2 Exhaust

Post by peter rimes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:19 pm

I'M progressing with the full restoration of my 39, IO HP and wondered if any member had experience of the single silencer exhaust in terms of replacement or refurb?

Are the usual parts suppliers for old Rovers my only option or are these systems so unique that a new system made up from a modern car supplier is a no go area?
I'm learning fast ,this being my 1st venture into restoration that the value of the parts sourced can easily quite exceed any potential value of the car therefore its always in my mind to look at as many options for restoration procurement as are possible.

GOY189

Re: P2 Exhaust

Post by GOY189 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:16 pm

It is possible to make up an exhaust from parts. Motor factors can supply straight and flexible pipe as well as all the hangars and clamps etc. The trickiest bit is likely to be separating the down pipe from the manifold if you need to, especially if steel nuts have been used. There is no room for a nut splitter (at least not mine!) Removing both manifolds/ pipe and doing this task on the bench is the easiest way to go.

I suggest you start by measuring the OD of the down pipe if it is still intact, since that will be the ID for the stub on the silencer that engages with the downpipe. You may be able to persuade the motor factors to let you see the systems they have in stock to select an appropriate silencer; although many manufacturers have standard silencers they usually have 50mm OD pipe, a bit big for a 10! The VW golf mk 111 intermediate box (Walker 19671) may be worth a look as it has 45mm inlet and outlet. You may have to play about with adapters to fit it to the diameter of the pipe on the 10hp.

The other way to go may be to have a stainless system fabricated, in that case I suggest you find out which outfit the local hot hatch drivers use.

Hope all this helps, let me know if you need any more.

Regards

Mike Maher

luli

Post by luli » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:51 pm

this may give you some ideas and a little help:
http://wp.me/pXLKy-mr
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:48 am

Mike Couldry at Meteor Spares has taken over from Mike Evans for the supply of replica original exhast systems. I had a system made up for Snowdrop by Mike Evans many years ago and the system was & is very good, just as original with the long silencer and the brackets in the right place, the flexible section was also excellent. Mike Evans also made up the stainless exhaust system for our newly aquired Coupe, Neal Powell the previous owner had made some drawings and Mike Evans made up the system from them...a good job as far as I can see. Let me know if you would like a copy....the Coupe is 1938, there may be differences from your car but either Mike should be able to help.
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

peter rimes

Post by peter rimes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 am

Thank you for your advise. I will make inquiries and keep all informed. Peter

peter rimes

Post by peter rimes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Meteor Spares no longer supply exhausts for this car and possibly not even for other models.

Due to this I have decided to repair the silencer box by welding a plate onto holed area.
The associated pipe work is in good condition and will need replacement brass manifold flange nuts to complete the repair which are easy to source.

Peter