SU AUA25 fuel pump location

Tangoman

SU AUA25 fuel pump location

Post by Tangoman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm about to fit a SU AUA25 electric pump (pulls fuel rather than shoves it) to my 1936 14hp. My mechanical pump isn't delivering enough fuel to the carb.

Does anyone know if I can leave the mechanical pump in line and working or is it best to take it off and replace it with a blanking plate.

If anyone has fit one to a 14 where did they locate it?

Thanks
John

lakesrally

Re: SU AUA25 fuel pump location

Post by lakesrally » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi John, if you do a search on "SU fuel pump" on this section of the forum you will find that this has been discussed previously. I don't think any of the cars were 14hp but the principle is the same. Best of luck.

Tangoman

Post by Tangoman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Update - Positioning the SU pump on the curved bulk head on the 14 saloon was a problem so I've opted for fitting a Facet pump on the frame next to the rear spring hanger. I've taken the innards out of the mechanical pump, put a blanking plate on the engine block and refit the pump and piped the fuel through it.

A lot to do to sort all the bodges on the car but hopefully will have it something like for the national rally.

chris dancey

Post by chris dancey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 pm

I have been advising this modification for some time, it has been completed on Snowdrop. This will be mainly to combat the ' fuel vapourisation ' issues with modern fuels which the car was suffering before starting with her current restoration. The ideal fuel pump is an SU electronic as fitted to an MGB, this can be neatly fitted to the rear shock absorber mounting on most models, probably will need a simple bracket of some description.

Fitting the electronic type of pump means that there is no ' give away ' points chatter.

With reference to the original AC mechanical pump, a blanking plate can be also fitted to the centre, replacing the diaphram, or at least the centre of the diaphram, the outside portion being retained as a gasket...this will give a look of originality with the diaphram tab still protruding out of the side of the pump body. I would advocate making the plate out of stainless steel to negate the effects of ethanol in the fuel.

I also removed the valves and turned the pump top so that the inlet becomes the outlet, with a quarter past seven orientation, the ' new ' outlet now facing forwards, a new pipe to the carburettor run near to and behind the cooling fan helps with the vapour locking problem. The ' new ' inlet is in the same position as the old.

Chris
1934 ( 1935 model ) P1 '10' Saloon RD 6160
1935 P1 '10' Saloon ( originally JB 6729 ) now VSJ 156
1946 P2 '14' Sports Saloon KPG 855
1933 MG J2 Cycle Wing Model APB 560
1933 MG J2 Competition Model ALX 124

nigels

Post by nigels » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Hi,
My '46 10 saloon has a electronic fuel pump fitted and It's mounted on the bulkhead. Was fitted when I bought the car. it does the job but does look very prominent.
Nigel