P2 Rover 14 Mounting footprint

RobHomewood

P2 Rover 14 Mounting footprint

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:01 pm

I am trying to draw up a footprint for the supports on a 39 Rover 14 engine (to have an engine test mount made) and having some difficulty in measuring the dimensions accurately. The engine I am measuring from is a spare one with another one in the car otherwise I would just measure the mounting points on the chassis. It looks from my first set of figures that the neaside engine mounting position is slightly further to the rear than the offside (16mm difference). Does anyone whether this can be correct? Any comments would be appreciated
Poor picture attached

Rob
Engine mounting points from above.jpg
Engine mounting points from above.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 2013 times

RobHomewood

Re: P2 Rover 14 Mounting footprint

Post by RobHomewood » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Having taken a different base line to measure from and removing a pipe or two from in the way I am now pretty convinced that the mounting points are the same distance back from the front of the engine so I shall stick with that. Unless anyone knows better of course.............
Rob

luli

Post by luli » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:24 am

My experience with 4 cylinders engines indicate that they are the same distance from the front, but not the same distance from the engine sides. This is because the engine block is not symmetrical to the crankshaft. There are also differences between LHD/RHD 10's mounts because of different chassis geometry.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Thanks Luli
Yes I had sussed out that the mounts are not the same distance from the engine block but are I believe symmetrical about the crankshaft (and the same height from datum).
Which all led me to daydream about someone (with more patience than me) to make a detailed 3D computer model of the engine with all its parts explodable - like a computer version of the excellent diagrams in the workshop manual which of course can't be spun round or zoomed in on etc. And then why not the whole vehicle? Different people could do differnet parts and then put them together................
Ah well dream on!
Rob