brake problem

nicolan

brake problem

Post by nicolan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 am

hello,

I have a problem with the brakes of my P3 75 Sports Saloon.
I'll try to explain in my best English (native language = dutch, but I think your Dutch will not be better than my English... ).
When starting and driving away I have some "free play" on the brake pedal (let's say : as it should be) . After a while, it becomes hard to depress the brake pedal, although the car stops.
The first thing that came in my mind : some problem with the flexible hoses.
- after a stop, the pedal reacts again as you want, but the problem returns when driving
- I did a small check : had the car rolling at very low speed and used the hand brake to stop; hand brake worked the same way as when just started.
- we (my son and myself) used to have some Unimog 404 (ex Belgian army) : flex hoses for the brakes had to be replaced on most of these cars.
I' m afraid the brake shoes do not return into their "rest" position because of the obstruction in the old flex hoses ....
So, for the more experienced Rover users : can this be the major problem or can there be any other thing that does not work as should ????

thanks ...

nicolas nicolay
belgium
1948 <P3 75 Sports Saloon

47p2

Re: brake problem

Post by 47p2 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 pm

It sounds like the fluid is being restricted from returning after pressing the pedal. I would start by checking the flexible hoses, next the rubber seals in the brake cylinders and then the seals in the master cylinder.

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:20 am

Hello Nicolas,

Question, is your P3 a LHD or a RHD? The reason is the LHD cars have a different master cylinder arrangement and works the opposite of a RHD drive car in that you pull the piston out of the master as opposed to pushing it in as with the RHD. If you have a LHD drive car then it is possible you have a spring return problem or perhaps a binding in the brake pedal pivot.

However, all this said it does sound like you have a sticking piston in your master cylinder or the flex line at the master cylinder is blocked or collapsed.

Let us know how you make out

Good Luck
Dirk in the States

nicolan

Post by nicolan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:26 am

hello,

I have the problem on a RHD car.
I will fit new flexible hoses and see if the problem is solved or not.
I have a original owner's manual where I found that "Girling Crimson brake fluid" has to be used. This will not be any longer on the market....
I wonder if I can use any modern brake fluid (dot 3 of dot 4) : it seems that some systems require another fluid in order to avoid some damage ??

My 1949 P3 Rover 75 Sports saloon is not yet ready to use : I noticed the difference in master cilinder and the place where it is located.

As far as I can see in the workshop manual ther is no flex hose near the master cilinder.

Will start looking for new hoses today and hope I can find them in Belgium. If not, i will be pleased to hear from a member in the UK where I dan order them.

Anyway, thanks for your reaction(s)!

PS last sunday I visited an event at Schaffen airport : a oldtimer fly in where about 300 to 400 old planes from Europe are present. The organisers of this event invite oldtimer owners to visite the event with their car. The moment I arrived where about 800 oldtimers present : I just found two Rovers present my 1948 P3 75 Sports Saloon and a (nice) 1934 P1 14 .

nicolas
1948 P3 Rover 75 Sports Saloon

nicolan

Post by nicolan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:28 am

forgot to mention that the 1949 P3 Sports Saloon is a LHD.

nicolas

Paul Gregory

Post by Paul Gregory » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Hello Nicolas,
As others have already said it sounds probable that you have a flexi hose problem or sticking seal.
In answer to your question on fluid type, you should have no problem using Dot 3 or 4 modern fluid, though I would make sure that you replace all the fluid in the system to ensure that it is all of a same age and type. I use Dot 4 fluid in my 48 P3 4 light.
If you have trouble sourcing hoses you could always try either Mike Couldry of Meteor Spares Service or Mike Evans of Viking Engineering Developments who both advertise in the RSR's magazine Freewheel and supply a vast range of running board rover spares. You'll be able to find contact details by doing a web search for their company names. I have no doubt there are other suppliers as well, but these two come instantly to mind.
Regards
Paul
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.

GOY189

Post by GOY189 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello Nicolas,
I have been looking for Girling reference numbers for the P3 hoses, I know that they are similar to early Series 1 Landrover hoses which have 7/16 inch UNF threaded ends, not the more common thread 3/8 inch UNF on modern hoses. I am sure that one of the 2 suppliers mentioned will be able to help. If all else fails, take a hose to a firm that supplies hydraulics for rally or racing cars, they may be able to make a hose to suit.

Regards

Mike Maher