P3 Battery Earth Cable.

Pigbog

P3 Battery Earth Cable.

Post by Pigbog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi folks, does anyone happen to know the approx length of the P3 battery earth cable and where it should be bolted to? Also, anyone know a source of new front coil springs - mine appear to have sagged somewhat over the years! The car is a '48 60.
Thanks, Matt Jagger.

lakesrally

Re: P3 Battery Earth Cable.

Post by lakesrally » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:42 am

I cannot give you an exact figure as I am away from home at the moment and will not be back for another week but it is not long, about a foot, and I would have to look at the car to tell you where it is bolted to, it's over 20 years since I put mine on and I cannot remember now where it goes. I'm sure someone else will be able to help though.

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:16 am

Sorry for jumping in to this thread but I am also wondering about the earth strap from the engine -in this case on my P2 DHC. Mike Evans thought it should be on the gearbox to the chassis but I cannot see anything at all there on mine or anything which looks like a terminal. Should there be an earth strap (nothing obvious in the parts book) or does it rely on the gearbox mounting straight on to the chassis?
regards Rob Homewood

Pigbog

Post by Pigbog » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:35 pm

lakesrally wrote:I cannot give you an exact figure as I am away from home at the moment and will not be back for another week but it is not long, about a foot, and I would have to look at the car to tell you where it is bolted to, it's over 20 years since I put mine on and I cannot remember now where it goes. I'm sure someone else will be able to help though.
Thanks Stewart. In the end I found a handy spot at the front of the wheel arch, close to the battery box cable outlet, and reused the old cable (after buying a new one from the local motor factors and finding that I could easily pull the cable out of the terminal - shocking quality!).

I'm still looking to increase the front ride height a bit. Does anyone have information on new coil springs or the spacers/shims mentioned in the workshop manual?

Pigbog

Post by Pigbog » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:39 pm

RobHomewood wrote:Sorry for jumping in to this thread but I am also wondering about the earth strap from the engine -in this case on my P2 DHC. Mike Evans thought it should be on the gearbox to the chassis but I cannot see anything at all there on mine or anything which looks like a terminal. Should there be an earth strap (nothing obvious in the parts book) or does it rely on the gearbox mounting straight on to the chassis?
regards Rob Homewood
Hi Rob, all I can tell you is that the P3 has a short cable from the nearside of the gearbox to the chassis. I should imagine your gearbox is on rubber mounts?

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:21 pm

The gearbox is on a support cradle solidly bolted to the chassis with a rubber insert under the gearbox itself. The only reference I can find to earthing the engine/gearbox is an item in the parts book called 'Cable,engine to earth' part no 40428 but as it is not shown in any illustration I cant identify whether it exists or not. A photo or description from another P2 would be great if anyone can help?

luli

Post by luli » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:16 pm

You can see it on the top right side of the following picture (taken from a LHD car):
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

deckell

Post by deckell » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:21 am

Matt, the earth strap on my p3 is a very short possibly fourteen inches in length and is attached to the body adjacent to the battery box. i had a problem with the starter being a bit lazy on turning the motor over on start up. i had an old vacuum cleaner which had seen better days. so i cut the lead off the cleaner and paired back the three wires in the cable ( the cable was a reasonable size diameter) and twisted them together and put a terminal lug on both ends.i then attached one end to the motor on the left hand side and threaded the other end back through the chassis to the back and then across to the battery and attached to the earth terminal surprise you would not believe the difference it made.i purchased some new front springs from Barry Kent at( the hollow stoke ferry norfolk) i hope this will help in your endeavours.kind regards Derrick.Smith from down under.

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks for the photo Luli- I couldnt see the earth cable on line because the photo was cropped but found it when I re-opened it as a jpeg. Unfortunately I still couldnt find the real thing on my car! If I have orientated myself correctly in your photo the earth cable is from a bolt at the rear of the gearbox down to the mounting cradle bolt on the chassis. It seems mine must have been lost at some time. The engine is obviously being earthed somehow through ancillary connections maybe but this fails when the engine gets hot. It will be interesting to see what happens if I can get a proper earth strap fitted.
Rob

luli

Post by luli » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:45 pm

You have got it - your description is correct. Sorry for the poor quality picture, this is the only one I have with the full length of the cable, on others only part of it is seen. On some cars I had found a flat braid, not a cable, braid like the one which had been used to suppress radio interference in the old days...
N.B I have found a better picture (I hope), and you can see the red cable:
(Right click on it and select "view image" or "open in another tab" to see the whole picture)
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/