Odd rear wings on p3

Steve6

Odd rear wings on p3

Post by Steve6 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Hello everybody,
I'm hoping you can cast some light regarding the rear wings on my 1948 P3 75 6 light. I bought the car in a restored condition but don't know it's full history. I have known for some time that incorrect rear lights were fitted, they were oval rather than the correct rectangular lights, but no problem, they look fairly period and don't offend. But having owned the car for over a year, would you believe I only noticed today that the 2 rear wings are actually quite different. Especially when viewed from the rear. The near side wing has an upper swage line which goes straight through the filler cap and goes about 40mm outboard of the light unit. The top of the wheelarch on this side overhangs the hubcap by about 25mm. The offside wing top swage line just touches the light unit and the wheel arch is about flush with the hubcap. In other words the offside is a slimmer version of the nearside by about 1" . Any thoughts please? Which is correct? Could a previous owner have fitted a P2 wing on the offside? I'd be very grateful for your opinions. Thanks

Regards
steve

jefflee

Re: Odd rear wings on p3

Post by jefflee » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Steve,
Only the P2 10hp wings were similar to the P3s perhaps its one of these
All other P2s had a 3/4" bead pressed round the edge of the wing.
The large slot holes in the wings give quite a lot of in/out adjustment.
cheers Jeff.
1937-20 SS _ 1938-20 SS _ 1946-16 SS _ 1947-16 saloon

Steve6

Re: Odd rear wings on p3

Post by Steve6 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:02 am

Thank you Jeff,
That's interesting about the 10hp wing, certainly neither of my wings has a bead on the lip. The more I look at them, the more I think the slimmer wing is correct, it just looks right and lines up nicely with the hubcap and bumper. The nearside wing looks a bit too big, but I will investigate the slotted holes as you suggest in case it can be adjusted inwards. Looking through some old paperwork, I found an invoice dated 1985, from a company called Boe's of Nottingham who were 'wing makers and coach builders' so maybe they handmade the wings. I would be really grateful if any P3 owners could tell me whether the top lip of their rear wings is just about flush with the hubcaps, or extend beyond the hubcap. That will help me decide which is correct. Thanks again.
Regards
Steve