Distributor Frozen on P3

EastEndJohn

Distributor Frozen on P3

Post by EastEndJohn » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:29 am

Hello I have a 1948 P3 75 and the Distributor appears frozen and will not move despite the pinch-bolt being loosened. Can anybody please reassure me that exerting more force to turn the body of the distributor will not cause something to break?

The car is new to me and was not running when purchased. I have it running now but with serious hunting so wish to use my strobe light to test the timing and may need to adjust the Distributor.

lakesrally

Re: Distributor Frozen on P3

Post by lakesrally » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Make sure the clamp is really loose, they can distort. If you want to remove it there is a small vertical bolt in a clamp plate to remove just below the clamp and another with a tab washer below that. Sorry, cannot give more detail or photos as I've not got my car here at the moment.

EastEndJohn

Re: Distributor Frozen on P3

Post by EastEndJohn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Thank you for your valued help. (I have a place in the Lakes but never seen a P3 on the road. I Managed to get it to move, I used a retired coal miner! He went through a few colour changes in the process and it's still a bit stiff, but it moved enough to set the timing to 7* past TDC as in the book. Its still erratic so I think the carb has to go away for a major refurb just to give me peace-of-mind especially as its drank 2gal of fuel in no time just in the garage.