Engine Colour

marnol74

Engine Colour

Post by marnol74 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Hello all,

Apologies for the briefness of this message; my laptop battery is almost certainly about to give up!

Should anyone have any idea, I am trying to find out the original paint colour for my 1948 P3 75. If anyone does then please could you let me know? Also is there anyone that sells it pre-mixed?

Thanks in advance

Matthew

patrick hiron

Re: Engine Colour

Post by patrick hiron » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:31 pm

One of my P3 blocks was not painted . The other was originallly " Battleship grey " . I suspect the actual colour depended on what ex Admiralty paint was available on any particular day !!Chasing "originality " for 60 year old P3s is a futile exercise .Remember P3s were built in a period of shortages . Rover tended to use whatever was available to produce cars , no matter what the parts lists said .IKB My P3 was sold as a ckd kit to india , it went with the original front suspension although the records state it should have been fitted with the later telescopic shock front suspension .
According to the original Rover records it was originally painted grey , but I found no trace of grey when I stripped the body back to bare metal .

marnol74

Post by marnol74 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks Patrick,

My apologies for such a late response...

I appreciate the input; my engine shows the remains of dark green with nothing else underneath...

My vehicle is too an export model, presumably CKD since it also went out to Calcutta, India when new. It has the garage name and address of Dewars, Calcutta on the facia; my vehicle is in fact grey, with green trim. I would be very interested in any history that you may have uncovered as I have not really got that far yet!

Thanks again

Matthew

kartik

Post by kartik » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 am

Hi,
I would be highly obliged if someone could guide me to the original colour scheme for the 1948 P3 75.

thanks
Kartik

djm16

Post by djm16 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:25 am

OK, so "authentic" may be a futile exercise, but "period" should be attainable.

After reading this and other posts, I am happy to go with battleship grey enamel for the engine. However what about the thermostat housing, water outlet and water pump?

All black? Same colour as engine?

I am stripped and ready to go, if only I know where I am going.