Vacuum Port Solex 30 PAAI

Steve6

Vacuum Port Solex 30 PAAI

Post by Steve6 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 pm

Hello all,
I'm hoping you can give me some advice regarding my 1948 Rover P3 75. I have been having trouble getting the engine to pick up cleanly from idle when the throttle is opened. Having originally suspected the accelerator pump jets, I've invested in a nice 'new' reconditioned Solex PAAI dual port carburettor. What is puzzling me is that there appears to be no appreciable vacuum at the port which goes to the vacuum advance pipe, hence no advance of the spark when revving up. I removed the vacuum diaphragm section from the distributor and by sucking on the pipe can see a few mms of movement so it appears to be working. If I reconnect the pipe back to the carburettor vacuum port and rev the engine, there is no movement. I cannot see any air leaks in the manifolds. The P3 parts manual shows vacuum advance components at both the carb and distributor ends, so I assume there is supposed to be vacuum advance on all 75 models. Or is it possible that I have a version of the Solex PAAI where the port is not drilled? Any ideas are gladly received.
Thank you.
Steve

Ray

Re: Vacuum Port Solex 30 PAAI

Post by Ray » Fri May 15, 2020 10:57 am

Hi Steve,
I have the same problem as you in that my P3 will not pick up cleanly from idle.
Did you find a solution to that ?
Also, where did you obtain your replacement carb ?
I assume you still have have 2 Solex 30 PAAi_2. Do you have any parts you are willing to sell ?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Ray Lilly