Short P4 Video

roverdriver

Short P4 Video

Post by roverdriver » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:33 am

On another forum, it was mentioned that there are few P4 clips on the tube. This weekend I tried to do a small part to remedy that.

My car is in regular use and is unrestored, but she goes well and does a good job. I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of the film by the time Youtube got to it, but hope that you enjoy it anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALLDmqzSAM" target="_blank" target="_blank
Dane, roverdriver, not a Viking!

Phil - Nottingham

Re: Short P4 Video

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 am

Excellent - are roads generally as dusty as that - balck is not good colour in this terain
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others

roverdriver

Re: Short P4 Video

Post by roverdriver » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 am

Phil - Nottingham wrote:Excellent - are roads generally as dusty as that - black is not good colour in this terain
Thanks, Phil. The dust seems to subside after rain!!

Most roads in our region are tar-sealed, our road services 5 properties (only 3 with permanent residents), it is a dead end and about a mile and a half long. I thought that Gloria's dust trail would add a bit to the movie, so drove accordingly. She certainly needed a good wash afterwards!

In central Australia there are many areas of unsealed road and the dust from them is unbelievable. It settles over the road and makes the road look smooth, but hidden under the very fine powdery dust (actually called bulldust) can be really deep pot holes. Road trains are made up of a prime mover and as many as five trailers. They are used to carry cattle. If you come up behind one on a dusty road, it is unwise to try to pass it. Firstly you can't see if there is anything coming towards you (unlikely, but it does happen) secondly, you can't see the road, let alone any pot holes and thirdly, it is such a long vehicle that it takes ages to go past it, and lastly, the fine dust will penetrate your car even with all windows closed, and it makes breathing difficult too. And all that with the temperature in the shade (if you can find some shade) in the low 40's.

In spite of their cost compared to Holdens and Fords of the same period, the more discerning car buyer sometimes bought a P4 for the outback because of their ability to work hard and handle the conditions.

Fortunately we live in a coastal area that is reasonably moist and temperate.
Dane, roverdriver, not a Viking!