I return to the fold!

Chuckles

I return to the fold!

Post by Chuckles » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:18 am

After a break of some 38 years, I have now taken the plunge and bought another P5! Infact only I purchased it last month.

I just became fed-up with "computerised" cars.... so I have gone back.... to when cars were just that, cars - not computers telling you the window's open or the boot is not closed properly or even that the key is in the ignition??? Where else?

There is a lot to do but as it is running it will be refurbished as I go along. The first important item is the Auto Box - Judders in low gears.
Then comes the paintwork - the bonnet seems to have succumbed to a poor respray at some time.

The car is quite well known in Dorset and did start life in the midlands, I even continued the trend of the previous owner, to attend the Sherborne rally after finding two previous years attendance plaques.

I have a lot of history to catalogue so when that’s done, I may have a clearer idea of what has happened to the ol’girl in the past.
Chuck, North Dorset - Membership #C8267

GOY189

Re: I return to the fold!

Post by GOY189 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:58 am

Welcome back to the Rover ownership fold and welcome to the group! Do keep us posted with the history.

Best regards

Mike

Chuckles

Re: I return to the fold!

Post by Chuckles » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Planning a rolling restoration on AAB 803A;

We have started to analyse what should be done first. It must have been a picture... two elderly chaps poised over an open bonnet for about an hour or two, just looking in!

Pouring over an open/closed/nearly open, bonnet, front door, rear door etc etc., it does look like she may have had a front end shunt at some time. The wings are badly fitted giving uneven and somewhat large shut lines, the bonnet would appear to be either a pattern or poorly fitted one and the grill is touching one side of the bonnet. The front bumper seems to be too far forward as well.
Out of interest does anyone have some photos/drawings of these areas, in particular where the outer front wings meet the bulkhead/‘A’ post and where the grill joints meet the bonnet line in the front. I am sure if we get these tolerances right, the rest will fall in place (or on the floor!).

We are planning, after the weather has broken for the winter, to get it into the workshop, put her up on stilts and remove the drivers door and front wings to see what is underneath! We have already noted the wavy edge on the front wing where it meets the inner wings so there is a start there.

I hope to photograph as we go and will keep you posted on progress or lack of.....

I also need to change the roof antenna, does the roof lining have to removed or can access be gained from behind the interior mirror?
Chuck, North Dorset - Membership #C8267