Windshield wiper intermittent switch

patrick hiron

Windshield wiper intermittent switch

Post by patrick hiron » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:50 am

Hi
My NADA spec 3500s has a little white intermittent wiper switch on the LHSide of the steering wheel . Nothing happens when I twiddle this . The main wiper switch on the dash gives two wiper speeds ; fairly fast and frantic . Any ideas on how and where the intermittent switch is wired , and how to remove and re activate it ??
The Rover shop manual does not appear to cover this switch
Cheers
Patrick

paul williams

Re: Windshield wiper intermittent switch

Post by paul williams » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:43 am

Patrick,
from what I remember of my P6 ownership a few years ago the wiper intermittent switch was a vacuum operated device, there was a sliding wedge located on the motor whose operation was controlled by the white knob. In effect the white knob controlled the amount of air into a rubber tube which controlled the descent of the wedge in the motor that created the delay.

It's all a liitle hazy as it was bout 20 years ago. This was on a standard UK 3500S, so when it comes to the export model I could be taking complete rubbish. I am sure there are present P6 owners who can help more.

Paul

just found the following ref in the online freewheel search

http://www.thersr.co.uk/cgi-bin/fwsearc ... T1=rundown" target="_blank

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

patrick hiron

Post by patrick hiron » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:02 am

Paul
Thanks for your help . So this what J Lucas did with all their left over pneumatic trafficator switches ?I have e mailed the RSR to ask for a copy of the article
Cheers
Patrick

falkor

Post by falkor » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:11 pm

seems like this is now a common problem on surviving P6s, mine has gone the same way :o