2002 Rover 75 Automatic gearchanging problem

gilbertratcliffe

2002 Rover 75 Automatic gearchanging problem

Post by gilbertratcliffe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum, not very good at this sort of stuff but here goes.

I bought a lovely 2002 Rover 75 Tourer connoisseur Diesel automatic last Thursday and am enjoying it greatly. I took it for a long run over the weekend and noticed the following. The temperature gauge runs at just above ¼ mark on the scale when driving on the open road, but comes up to the half way mark (which I take it is the normal running condition) when driving around town, and does not over heat. I assume from this that the thermostat is stuck open and will pursue replacing it when I get a minute.
However it was the apparent effect that the temperature was having on the performance of the gearbox that prompted me to get on the forum. When the temperature was “normal” the box changed much more readily and kicked down when asked, but as the temperature went down on the open road it was reluctant to change down on hills and would not kick down. Am I experiencing a real effect of the engine temperature changing the responsiveness of the gearbox or am I linking two quite unrelated events? Anybody have any similar experiences?
This is my first modern Rover 75, but I drove a P4 75 many years ago at the age of 10 and I have a P3 four light 75 at the moment too .

Neal P2

Re: 2002 Rover 75 Automatic gearchanging problem

Post by Neal P2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:24 am

Hi,
Congratulations on your purchase they are certainly lovely cars and sadly I no longer have mine.

Regarding your problem it may well be worth posting it on the '75 and ZT owners club forum' - there is a wealth of knowledge there.

I am no expert so can't advise but I do recall reading about the auto gearbox solenoids can be intermittent and fail "open circuit" when hot.

I hope you manage to solve your problem

gilbertratcliffe

Re: 2002 Rover 75 Automatic gearchanging problem

Post by gilbertratcliffe » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks Neal, I will give them a look.