harvested from old Yahoo forum

Phil - Nottingham

harvested from old Yahoo forum

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:11 pm

With full credit to TMY and CV.

its well worth looking at!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I" target="_blank

A really interesting video - but these lock washers certainly look good - they may well work on the notoroius Rover diff Crown wheel nuts/bolts which do work loose even now with whatveer locking method employed
-----Original Message-----
From: oldrovers@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank [mailto:oldrovers@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of tmj.wilson
Sent: 04 November 2008 19:01
To: oldrovers@yahoogroups.com" target="_blank
Subject: Re: [oldrovers] Restoration

Charles,
serrated lock washers have been around for many years but their applications are limited as you cannot use a lock washer along with a plain washer as this defeats the object of the locking effect. The whole idea of a locking washer (as opposed to a tab type locking washer) is that the washer digs into the surface that the bolt is being tightened onto and also to the underside of the bolthead or nut and so increasing the friction. If however you put on a plain washwer and then a locking washer you only increase the friction between the bolt or nut and the top face of the washer. The bottom face of the washer being smooth is just the same as if you tightened the bolt or nut without a lock washer as the washer lock washer and bolt head or nut can still work loose. So if using a lock washer never use a plain washer as well. The tab washer cannot work loose on it's own if the tabs are closed over to a fixed point
----- Original Message -----
To: Citroen Yahoo Group ; ((OLDROVERS)) OLDROVERS
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 5:21 PM
Subject: [oldrovers] Restoration

Hi -

there's an interesting new product on the market, to replace lock washers.

When I restored Snoopy, I used 'new generation' serrated lock washers that Citroën specify for their new model range. They work well and are available from Wurth, but are very expensive. I also used this Citroën system quite a bit when I rebuilt my Rover P2. Once whatever lock washers are in place and the fastening is torqued up, it takes a really eagle eye to see that it is not "original"!

This new Swedish product is clearly superior and if I was restoring again, this is the product I'd use.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I" target="_blank

Regards... Chas

-
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others