North American Dollar Area (NADA) references

Interesting facts and anecdotes about the company itself
Dkenner

North American Dollar Area (NADA) references

Post by Dkenner » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:39 am

I am looking for references to the use of “North American Dollar Area” within Rover literature. I’ve found references within Land-Rover literature to the mid Fifties, but am curious if this term was in use earlier for the Rover cars. Would anyone know of references or able to take a quick look? Any references would appear around lights, or something like a head lamp high beam indicator lamp on the dash.

Thank you,

Dixon Kenner.
Dixon Kenner
1950, 51, 52 Land-Rover, 1976 101FC

Dkenner

Re: North American Dollar Area (NADA) references

Post by Dkenner » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:13 pm

I would also add, if anyone knows of any links to Lucas parts catalogues for the cars in the 1950's, I'd be delighted to check those out. The NADA reference occurs in there, while for other marques, they generally use USA, Canada, or North America. NADA seems to pertain to Rover.

Thank you,
Dixon Kenner

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:10 pm

I just had a look at the only Lucas lamp catalogue I have which appears to be about 1960 or shortly thereafter and that only seems to refer to NADA against Rover cars (last 4 pages: Side Lamps and Front flasher lamps) Sorry cant offer anything else
Rob

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi Dixon
Actually just found another (incomplete) Lucas Equipment and Parts catalogue in which Rover lamps -head,number plate, side and stop tail- for 1951-54 '60' '75' '90' models for 'export' are listed as NADA. Again this catalogue has no date showing but appears to go up to 1954
Good luck
Rob

Dkenner

Post by Dkenner » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 pm

What are the publication numbers of the Lucas catalogues?

I am curious is anyone has any Rover car parts catalogues and could take a look sometime. This would appear primarily with lights and such.

Thank you,

Dixon
Dixon Kenner

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi Dixon
The 1960ish partial extract is marked Catalogue 400E and the other 1954ish one is marked Catalogue 400D on just one or 2 pages. Nothing like a helpful reference on the front or back pages! I could send copies of extract pages if you send me an email address.
regards
Rob

Dkenner

Post by Dkenner » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:28 pm

Email is dkenner@gmail.com

Slowly building a spreadsheet. The first reference to North America Dollar Area (NADA) in a Land-Rover publication is in TP/317/C in May 1963. This is an Owners Manual. Before this, I have found "North American Vehicles" and "America. Dollar Area" in a couple other publications. However, my library is very thin, and I have no Rover cars manuals or parts catalogues, which I feel will be the primary reference sources.

All of this is going into an article for our local LR club newsletter. If I could get Rover car references, if the RSR club newsletter is interested, I could send it to them too. Doubt they would be interested in one just from a Series Land Rover standpoint, though for trivia the second "NADA" Rover product was the P6 3500S. The first was the six-cylinder 109 station wagon of which 811 were made. I believe 2,006 of the P6 NADAs were made.
Dixon Kenner

RobHomewood

Post by RobHomewood » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pm

The RSR is for ALL rovers so its always worth trying them with your article.
By the way the Lucas catalogue I have lists Rover 60,75 and 90 lights etc as NADA in 1954. Also the Landrover in 1951-54 (still listed as a Rover so it appears in the extract I have) but not the Station Wagon of 1951 for which the side lamps at least are listed as '(USA)'. Make of that what you will!
All the best with your research

Rob

SteveM2

Post by SteveM2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 am

Dixon and Rob,

Here are a couple more references:

3 litre Saloon and Coupe Parts Catalogue, part # 4610, February 1964; Page 41 covers variations of the HD8 carburetter for different markets:
Carburettor --SU AUD 107, p/n 542429; remarks: MK II N.A.D.A. with engine suffix letters 'A' and 'B'
Carburettor -- [AUD # not listed], p/n 546542; remarks: MK. II N.A.D.A. engines with suffix letter 'C'
A footnote says: "N.A.D.A. indicates parts peculiar to cars exported to the North American Dollar Area"

The lighting section of the above parts book lists the clear front flasher lamps with this under Remarks: "America. Dollar area and Italy". The remark next to the separate clear lens is "America Dollar area and Italy". The remarks for headlamps are: "America Dollar Area"

The Rover 2000 parts catalogue for "Twin Carburetter Models", part # 4816 issued September 1966, has similar remarks in the lighting, mirror and other sections. The clear front flasher lens on page 119 has the remark: "America. Dollar area and Italy". On page 125, the remark for the foot-operated dip switch is "America. Dollar Area."

I have quite a lot of sales literature and manuals covering P2 through P6B, so I will keep looking.

Starting in 1968, most of the references to the North American market that I remember seeing refer to components meeting U.S. Federal Standards. I am not sure to what extent this terminology replaced NADA, or whether both were used.

As the keeper of several North American market Rovers including P3 through P6B and a 1967 Land Rover 109, I'm quite interested in this area of Rover history -- obscure as it may be!

Best regards,

Steve Manwell
Massachusetts

Dkenner

Post by Dkenner » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:58 pm

Steve,

These are excellent references, and I have added them into my spreadsheet (which actually tracks every reference within a parts manual or owners manual) I am hoping that more NADA references appear further back in time. Right now, the earliest "NADA" reference I have in a Rover publication is May 1963, though noted before Lucas was using it a decade earlier, so must have gotten it from Rover somewhere. If you find more references and you don't feel like typing, just send a photo of the pages to my email address above, and I'll type it in.

I presume that your publication 4610 is TP/338. My friend and I tend to track by TP (technical publication) number as with some publications, for example TP/247 (Pub no 4315), (Rover Distributors and dealers) there is TP/247/A (March 1960) through at least TP/247/Q (July 1967). The early 80 inch parts catalogue TP/111 (Pub no 4056), goes from A to G between December 1948 and May 1958. This allows one to track changes in parts and version numbers. It is surprising how many multiple versions there are of these publications reflecting changes to the vehicles.

I can't say about Rover cars owner's manuals, but the Land-Rover ones reference North America or North American vehicles. Generally with the dash (early fifties) as early Land-Rovers to North America has a high beam warning lamp, that did not appear in the rest of world until 1954 (I believe). I do not know if this was the case for P3 or P4 (I do not know if there were ever any P2's sold into North America). Lights change, so the earlier LR manuals referenced what bulbs you needed as replacements when one died. I would expect the cars to be similar.

Than you for your help,

Dixon Kenner
Canada
Dixon Kenner