Restoring gauges article

David Bliss

Restoring gauges article

Post by David Bliss » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:36 am

I now belong to the Willys Overland Knight Registry. A member posted information about his restoration of the gauges on his car. The results were better than I have seen from some professionals, and you always get a sense of achievement by doing the work yourself. This link goes to a newsletter call The Running Board, which has published his account of the restoration http://clubs.hemmings.com/eacc/RB.pdf. I thought it might be of interest and could help others.

GOY189

Re: Restoring gauges article

Post by GOY189 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks David,
A most informative article

Regards

Mike

Gordonhbm

Re: Restoring gauges article

Post by Gordonhbm » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:06 pm

David,
I have tried the link you posted (http://clubs.hemmings.com/eacc/RB.pdf.) but it brings up the March 2015 edition and doesn't contain the article. Do you have a copy that you could email me as I am trying to calibrate a Hobson Telegage (petrol) and struggling! I have a freshley cleaned and dry system with a sender in good order but need to recalibrate the gauge. Previous owner had inserted 2 electrical grade copper wires .070" dia. which were corroded with a white deposit. I am replacing these with stainless steel wire. What diameter and length should they be. I have made a test tank to give me a column of liquid the same density as 95 Unleaded (equal in height to the full proper tank) and using a flexible pipe to the gauge head and immersing to bottom of tank I should get a "full" reading. However it only shows 1/2 full. With the flexible open to atmosphere the red liquid is on zero.
I can't work out whether I need more or less wires - I am assuming that with fewer wires more liquid should be pushed into the indicator part. Have I understood the principle correctly?
Many thanks for your help.