What oil for the chassis lubricant

bikerboy666

What oil for the chassis lubricant

Post by bikerboy666 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:12 pm

I have rover p2 1938 old style body.rover 10 I use 20.50 halfords for engine oil.and use the same for the chassis lubricant container by engine bay..is this ok?I know engine oil I use is ok.its the green classic oil can from halfords.i use the same for chassis lubrication system to.better than nothing I hope..the hole chassis is well lined.no rust and engine purrs.i use all year round.the 10 has inadequate power for the weight of car..steep hills have always been a challenge.occassionly I master double declutching..the gearbox is forgiving and the clutch is amazingly robust..its a car with alot of patient and wear.but I love it.occassionally I spray engine bay with good black paint and body work is original and well worn on chrome.but I prefer it original because it looks authentic. I'm not keen on over restored cats..they dont look true..am I alone on this.comments apprecriciated Simon surrey

luli

Re: What oil for the chassis lubricant

Post by luli » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:05 pm

What you need is a 80-90 gear oil. Note that up-to-date gear oil of grade GL-5 contains an additive which attacks "yellow metals" and therefor not suitable for the lubrication system. Use oil of grade GL-4 or less.
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/

tony1935

Re: What oil for the chassis lubricant

Post by tony1935 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi, I have used gear oil 80/90 for over 50 yrs in my car & it seems ok. If you disassemble any component fed by the system, it is advisable to flush through from the priming point under the bonnet with new oil.( it goes gloopy in the small bore tube).