Newly signed in

Please announce yourselves here when you join
David2021

Newly signed in

Post by David2021 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 am

I have joined as I'm thinking about a pre-war Rover and this seems a good place to start...
I have reduced my flock of Austin Sevens down to one super & quite rare 1932 AG tourer (for sale!) . The Chummy, the Vintage saloon and a ruin of a 30's tourer have all gone, so I am looking for a useable pre war car to go with the 1956 ZA Magnette, which is a keeper and a good car for touring Europe as it sits at 70 all day....it has a high ratio diff.
The pre war car would be primarily for UK touring. My thoughts are Rover, Triumph or Riley.
I have had "modern" Rovers....a couple of 820's and 800 V6's. I took one 820 for a couple of laps of the 'Ring which was fun...it was wet too, I ran out of brakes by the end! Father nearly bought a 1948(?)12 Tourer in the mid '50's. He was told by the garage selling it that they had been built to send to India for Government use, but we gave India independence, so they stayed at home. Is that true?
He bought a Sunbeam Rapier instead before a string of 2000's!

GOY189

Re: Newly signed in

Post by GOY189 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Welcome to the group David2021. Let us know what you choose. The immediate post-war cars are near identical to the late 30's cars but the range was 10hp, 12hp (both 4 cylinders 1389cc and 1495cc respectively) 14hp and 16hp (both 6 cyls - 1901 cc and 2147cc respectively). The 12 tourers you refer to never initially appeared in the home market catalogue. The majority of the first batch of 40 or so produced, mostly from September 1947, were exported, to India and other overseas destinations. Not only did that conserve scarce steel supplies for 1947 cars,(tourers were panelled largely in aluminium) but the export of those cars released supplies of steel for the 1948-49 P3 range. Far fewer of the remaining 160 tourers were exported.

Best regards
MIke Maher

David2021

Post by David2021 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:15 pm

Thank you for that information....so the tale about India was based on some facts! Not just a salesman's spiel.
The car I am interested in is not cheap & difficult to go see! It is also overpriced (!!) in my view, but we may see! The Speed 14 tourers are splendid, but a later 30's 14 or larger normal tourer would be interest. I think any pre war Rover should get in the garage. I am quite well up on Rileys, but Rovers are a learning curve.

IanPatt

Post by IanPatt » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Hi David,
Welcome. Just wondered if a P1 1937 10 Saloon be of interest? I am toying with the idea of another project and will need space which means 'Jenny' would unfortunately have to move on. If she did go it would be nice if she stayed relatively local as she was registered in Coventry and hasn't been out of a CV post code for her life span.
Keep safe
Ian Patt

David2021

Post by David2021 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Ian, sorry!
I really want a tourer. I have a 1955 ZA Magnette for my saloon needs & it will cruise all day at 70 and my 1932 Austin Seven Tourer is for sale as it is fun, but really best for pottering!
Thanks for the thought
David

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:38 pm

David,

As the owner of a pre War Tourer I frequently look out for similar cars for sale and, it’s fair to say, they rarely come up. When they do it’s usually a restoration opportunity, hugely overpriced or both! Post War cars are becoming just as rare and, as I’m sure you will discover, most of the on-line adverts are long since expired. It’s worth keeping a close watch on the classic car auctions like Brightwells as a couple of Rover Tourers have gone through their hands in the past two or three years. Your post prompted me to search on line for Tourers and everything that comes up are cars I’ve seen for sale over recent years. It’s a shame that information on the web remains forever as it becomes confusing just what is for sale! However, one car that appears like a current advert is a 48 Tourer with Rugby Classic Cars. I recall this car up for sale last year with a private owner because it needs work on the side screens, which is not a massive job. Whether this car is actually for sale now is hard to tell but may be worth a call.

This month’s Freewheel features the restoration of a similar car owned by Luli. His detailed and painstaking work is a masterclass on the ins and outs of these fine motor cars, so worth a look before you buy one.

I was fortunate to inherit my Tourer, albeit in boxes! I undertook pretty much all the restoration work myself in my garage at home. Even so, it was a costly exercise and I gave up counting when it got to £17k. Well worth the effort and expense but I mention this to demonstrate that these old Rovers are no cheaper to get into shape than a Jaguar or Alvis of the same era. However, they usually command higher sale prices.

Good luck with your quest to find a Tourer. I’m sure the right car is out there just waiting for you and hopefully sales will kick off once the lock down is eased.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

David2021

Post by David2021 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 am

Thank you for that information, but sadly the car is long sold & the advert (& the dealer!) a bit of a waste of space!
I have read some of Luli's posts....what a guy!
I will probably put a feeler out in the classifieds here. Sadly the pre-war Speed 14 is not a project for me....pity it will be a fine car!