Rover 10 rear suspension

Please announce yourselves here when you join
TonyG

Re: Rover 10 rear suspension

Post by TonyG » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:42 pm

David,

One small, but obvious, point. When you jack up the car to fit the bump stops, lower it onto axle stands positioned under the axle and not the chassis so that it isn’t hanging and pushing down on the stops. This will give you the maximum gap between axle and bump stop. Maybe also put that weight in the boot as well?

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

David2021

Post by David2021 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:42 am

Thank you Tony...I had sussed that! It takes a while to get the head round underslung leaf suspension! I had a dry run yesterday & lifted the car using the spring pad so all the lifting was on the axle, this gave a reasonable gap (increased by applying a lever between the axle & Chassis) This made the area around the pad pretty cluttered so for the real attempt on the summit(!) I will get the car up high and on axle stands and get the chassis as low as possible! Good news is that the springs etc look in good condition, my only concern in this area is that the Bijur vital fluids are only getting as far as the front shackle& the brake balance lever, so I am going to have to investigate. The pipe to the rear dumb iron is ok, so there must be a blockage. I will have to sort out a suitable nipple & oil gun to put pressure into the system as there are a couple of other "dry" joints. Most are happily dripping on the garage floor!
D

David2021

Post by David2021 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am

Thank you Tony...I had sussed that! It takes a while to get the head round underslung leaf suspension! I had a dry run yesterday & lifted the car using the spring pad so all the lifting was on the axle, this gave a reasonable gap (increased by applying a lever between the axle & Chassis) This made the area around the pad pretty cluttered so for the real attempt on the summit(!) I will get the car up high and on axle stands and get the chassis as low as possible! Good news is that the springs etc look in good condition, my only concern in this area is that the Bijur vital fluids are only getting as far as the front shackle& the brake balance lever, so I am going to have to investigate. The pipe to the rear dumb iron is ok, so there must be a blockage. I will have to sort out a suitable nipple & oil gun to put pressure into the system as there are a couple of other "dry" joints. Most are happily dripping on the garage floor!
D

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:07 am

David,

The Luvax Bijur system has, I believe, a number of meter valves of different size to equalise the pressure around the car. My guess would be that one of these has become blocked or that air has entered the system and needs forcing or bleeding through.

Neither of my cars has this system fitted. My Tourer Has no facility on the tiny inlet manifolds for a vacuum take off, so a bit of a mystery there. My Saloon did have it installed when I got it and, like yours, left puddles of oil under some of the intended oil points - but not all! As the original intention was to use the car for wedding hire (my wife’s idea and why she agreed to me getting the car), I decided not to re-fit the system as I had visions of little oil puddles on nice driveways creating issues with the clients! As such, I fitted it with grease nipples like the Tourer has. There is a lot of debate over the pros and cons of the system and, while I am confident that all joints are always reached with grease, I can see the attraction of not having to crawl about beneath the car once a year to service them. Having decided not to rent my car out to a bunch of fussy brides, I may review this decision and originality is always nice to maintain.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

David2021

Post by David2021 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Very Interesting! I have seen it written (so it must be true!) that because the system is designed with clearances in mind for oil lubrication the oilways are a bit small for grease. However if you work on the old principle of looking to see fresh grease ooze out all is good! I not my car has the water pump oiler replaced with a grease nipple!

luli

Post by luli » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:11 pm

I was able to drive a "greased" and "oiled" cars and notice the difference. The oiled steering is markedly better than the "greased". I am using sealed bearings in the water pump so that no oil or grease are required.
See more here: https://wp.me/pXLKy-4tS
and here: https://wp.me/pXLKy-1sB
Rover 10 1946 RHD
Rover 10 1947 LHD
Rover 12 1947 tourer LHD
http://lulisml.wordpress.com/