Hello from the States

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Dirkco

Hello from the States

Post by Dirkco » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 am

Hello all,
My name is Dirk Burrowes and I live in the USA. I am a avid Rover automobile collector which in itself is odd for a Yank but what can I say they are just such a well built car surrounded by great people. I am lucky and blessed to be able to have collected many significant model examples over the years and have begun to focus on the prewar cars. I host a annual Rover event in the States in June and this is as close as the US comes to a national Rover rally. I attended the the RSR National this year and it is the first car show I have ever attended without a car and won a trophy (farthest traveled). I plan to come to the NEC this year and hope to meet some of you on the RSR stand. I am also interested in anyone who owns a Streamline as I will begin a restoration soon and would like to talk to other owners.

I have put together a website(still in progress) it is http://www.roveramerica.com" target="_blank if anyone cares to see what we are up to over the other side of the pond

Warm Rover Regards,
Dirk

47p2

Re: Hello from the States

Post by 47p2 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi Dirk,

Welcome to the forum, We look forward to hearing all about the Ray Arnatt Rovers

Darren contacted me a few months ago about them and send me some pictures.

You can read the article here

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi Dirk,

Welcome and a very nice site.
Job.
'73 P5B Saloon
'96 220 Coupe
'97 820Si
'96 Triumph Herald 12/50
'96 Triumph TR6

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off !!

Richard Clements

Post by Richard Clements » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Dirkco wrote:Hello all,
My name is Dirk Burrowes and I live in the USA. I am a avid Rover automobile collector which in itself is odd for a Yank but what can I say they are just such a well built car surrounded by great people. I am lucky and blessed to be able to have collected many significant model examples over the years and have begun to focus on the prewar cars. I host a annual Rover event in the States in June and this is as close as the US comes to a national Rover rally. I attended the the RSR National this year and it is the first car show I have ever attended without a car and won a trophy (farthest traveled). I plan to come to the NEC this year and hope to meet some of you on the RSR stand. I am also interested in anyone who owns a Streamline as I will begin a restoration soon and would like to talk to other owners.

I have put together a website(still in progress) it is http://www.roveramerica.com" target="_blank" target="_blank if anyone cares to see what we are up to over the other side of the pond

Warm Rover Regards,
Dirk
Hi Dirk, I remember you from the National Rally, You stick in my mind as like you say it's unusual to see someone from the other side of the water.
1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic

The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi Dirk,

Nice Dutch name you've got there.
Welcome from the other, other side of the water. 8-)
Job.
'73 P5B Saloon
'96 220 Coupe
'97 820Si
'96 Triumph Herald 12/50
'96 Triumph TR6

Due to recent cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel is switched off !!

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Hello there Dirk
I am a new member to the forum and interested to see that you are about to restore a Speed 14 Streamline coupe I finished restoring one of these about 15 years ago and sold it on about 6 years ago. I will see if I can find any appropriate photos for you but I fear most, if not all, went with the car!!
From my notes and info on the archive database I see we are aware of the existance of about 10 1935 models, 7 in the UK with 2 on the road, 1 in Italy on the road (ex me}, 1 in Switzerland on the road and 1 in Holland off the road.
We are aware of the existance of 13 models for 1936, 10 in the UK, 1 in South Africa and 1 in Holland, and to the best of my knowledge all are off the road??.
These figures include 4/5 cars that we have not heard anything about for a number of years and who knows where they are today??. I have no doubt there are a few other cars for both years out there that we are unaware of.
If you could let me have the details of your car for the database ie Registration and chassis nos colour etc and any previous history you may have, I would much appreciate it
Meantime for your guidance I have owned a plain 1935 14 Streamline coupe (streamline bodywork but no triple carbs, knock on wheels or tripod lighting arrangement) for the last 10 years which is currently awaiting restoration, mechanically not bad but as with my Speed 14 the rear end of the ash frame needs major work.
Regards and thanks in advance
Andrew

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply1

To answer your questions:

Streamline speed 14 1935
1) registration AVC293
2) Chassis # 531040
3) Orignal color Blue.

The past owners are numerous so I will spend a bit more time to put this in some kind of order. However the most recent owners was Alan Wakeley for the last 15 or so years I purchased the car from Alan and prior to him Charles Deakin owned the car. From what I can tell neither of the last two owners ever had the car on the road.

By the way I also own 3 other prewar Rovers. A 1926 (9) 1929 (6) and a 1933 Meteor. I post info on those cars soon

Will you be at the NEC this weekend? I will be their both Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks
Dirk

andrewmcg

Post by andrewmcg » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Hello there Dirk

This car was in the RSR under both the previous owners, in fact I had many phone conversations with Alan Wakely regarding bits and pieces missing from his car and he came over to see my 'very original and complete' Speed 14 to see what was what. I did not see his car but If I remember correctly the engine was seized when he bought it and it only had a single carb fitted??, although I gather he either found or bought some triple carbs at some stage.The original colour of your car, according to my info, was Grey with a blue interior, a standard colour finish for 1935.

Due to previous family commitments I am in Malvern (home of the Morgan car) this week end and things look a bit tight for getting to the NEC, but if i can manage it I would like to try and make a quick visit on either Saturday or Sunday. If I do I will visit the RSR stand and let them know I am there and leave a mobile number to contact me, perhaps you can liase with them. Meantime as promised I will search for any photos of my car and if successful will bring them with me.

Hope to meet up at the NEC
Regards
Andrew

Dirkco

Post by Dirkco » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Andrew,

Than you for the reply!

I have the orginal documents that came with the car and it is listed as a blue car. This bears out as the fire wall is a blue as well.
Alan did procure a correct speed 14 engine from Mike Couldry. Some where along the way he also found the correct intake manifolds allthough the car does not have the correct carbs so I will have to locate these at some point. I will post my UK cell number once I know what it is so if you do make it to the NEC we can hook up.

Cheers
Dirk