Greetings from the True North Strong and Free

Please announce yourselves here when you join
patrick hiron

Greetings from the True North Strong and Free

Post by patrick hiron » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 am

Hi
Hi
From a long time Rover addict in Montreal . I've progressed steadily from a 1939 14HP[ P1- P2??] " Black Beauty ", Series 1 Land Rover , 1947 14 HP P2 " John Betjeman " to a ,1949 P3 , the infamous "Isambard Kingdom Brunel "whose 10 yr rebuild was chronicled in Freewheel .IKB was not useable in Quebec's dodgem car traffic , so he was put out to pasture on a farm in rural Ontario . IKB now lives in splendor in an air conditioned implement house and is trailered to shows to collect pots ; a sad end to one of Britain's fine cars
I have now progressed to a 1970 NADA spec P6B 3500 S, "Rip Van Winkle" RVW was put into storage in 1988 fter covering 33,000 miles .RVW was rediscovered after the owner died in 2007. I bought RVW in the Fall of 2007 and have just finished recommissioning what the up market motor magazines would call a" nicely patinated heated motor house find" The brakes were a particular puzzle , however RVW is now fully roadworthy ,polished up ,and is capable of toddling down the autoroute at illegal speeds in comfort .
Why do all my Rovers have names ?? The British have always given names to their transport , horses , ships , steam locomotives , aircraft . My Rovers all had names which in some way reflected their personality . It also helps me to remember not to take out my frustration with a 7lb lump hammer , when the restoration reaches yet another critical phase
Cheers
Patrick Hiron

paul williams

Re: Greetings from the True North Strong and Free

Post by paul williams » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:02 am

Welcome Patrick,
thank you for making the effort to join our forum, every Freewheel reader will be aware of your Rover achievements and we look forward to benefitting from your experience here as well

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 am

Glad you have signed up here Partick.
I have read many of IKB's stories in the Freewheel magazine and look forward to reading more of you writings here.
I hope you enjoy the forum

Phil - Nottingham

Post by Phil - Nottingham » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Welome and I too am glad you made the "migration" - there is already a wider audience and your tipa nd comments will be even more appreciated
P2/P4/P5/P5B/LR's - EXJ 8**/2**8MY & others