New boy - if only!

Please announce yourselves here when you join
HAD501

New boy - if only!

Post by HAD501 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Well here I am - finally got round to joining the forum.

Freewheel 400 arrived this morning - brilliant as usual and what a great idea to include a copy of issue No.1. Surely, Les Bentley's introduction to the RSR is just as appropriate now as it was 67 years ago. Interesting to see how publishing technology has progressed in 67 years and sobering to realise that I've been a member for well over half of them. Talking of being a member, I did have a slight panic when flicking through the new membership list - I'm not in it - does the RSR know something I don't? Rationality returned - if I wasn't on the mailing list I wouldn't have a copy, and I am in the index at the back . Phew - just a gremlin then.

I'm assuming that it wouldn't be easy to convince the constabulary that trundling around in a 72 year old was actually an essential journey, so I'm contenting myself with trying to work out why the clock keeps perfect time indoors but gains in the car. Warmer indoors perhaps. Meanwhile the Cabriolet needs some fettling for the MOT but ....

Happy Rovering everybody, Dave Messenger

falkor

Re: New boy - if only!

Post by falkor » Tue May 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Welcome Dave, what a great idea to include a copy of issue No.1. yes fantastic, fancy having Issue no 1 components to hand to do it !! like the sound of that, we are so lucky to have an abundance of Rover magazines coming through the post at us

but talking of essential journies , a couple of weeks back I was in the P6 hurtling along empty motorways to a funeral in Worcestershire attended by 5 people including my daughter and I
went up there with my daughter along the M25/ M40/ M42/ M5 and there was so little traffic I've never seen anything like it, the P6 was just motoring along at a steady 70 the whole time and was a total joy, never got stopped to explain why I was out in the P6 but it is my only car, I actually said to my daughter we could go on the motorbike instead but she declined that idea

going back to your car for a second , you have the opposite problem to me, the clock in my P6 is always a minute slow per week, I know you can remove it and do the adjustments on the back, will have to do that one of these months

HAD501

Re: New boy - if only!

Post by HAD501 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:50 am

Hello, Falkor

I've been out in the P2 a couple of times since the restrictions were eased - traffic has certainly got a bit busier now, but yes the whole place has been spookily quiet lately.

The clock is now spot on after 2 weeks a great improvement over gaining 1 minute per day. I'm sure this sounds a bit obsessive but a while ago I'd forked out for an electronic conversion kit to replace the waggling contact with an optical pick-up. So having fitted it and adjusted to "perfect" timing it was a bit annoying for it to gain so much once installed. I was curious to find out why but to cut a long story short - I've no idea, some funny magnetic effect perhaps thinking of compasses. Anyway I tweaked it and it's fine at least for now. I expect the P6 clock employs more sophisticated horological technology!

And I still haven't got round to the electric headlight levelling on the cabriolet!

Cheers, Dave