Hello from Somerset

Please announce yourselves here when you join
George T

Hello from Somerset

Post by George T » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello! I have been in the register for a few years and for a couple of years neglected my membership but renewed this year. I am have the pleasure of having 2 Rovers in my care, a Rover 75 and a very sad 1939 P2 in need of lots of work, probably would be better as spares but i don't like that option and i am sure i can help her back to life on the road. My wife also has a Rover 216 coupe. It was great to see the National Rally at Forde Abbey last year, especially as there seems to be no regional meeting in the South West corner of England, and i will be venturing to Warwick for this years! I would be interested in members views as what to do with the registration on the P2. It is on the DVLA database when you make a vehicle enquiry, so should is it possible to just request a V5c, do i need re-register or should i wait untill the car is roadworthy, only reason for this question is that a couple of times in the Freewheel it has been said about vehicles struggling to retain the original Numbers. Enough for now! I have a long list of questions on getting the P2 back on the road but i will ask them a little nearer to the time when i will be sorting it. Regards George

Paul Gregory

Re: Hello from Somerset

Post by Paul Gregory » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:10 am

Hello George,
Welcome along to the forum. I take it from your message that you have a 'modern' 75, which model is it? There are certainly an increasing number of people in the Register who do have them, certainly a classic of the future. I'm certainly a big fan of them, having been running them for over 10 years now.
With regards your registration document for the P2, I would personally apply for it sooner rather than later. That way you know that the vehicle is properly registered to you. You will find the information that you need at http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022404 Basically if the vehicle is already on the system they should issue you with a new registration doc...after payment of a £25 fee. I recently did this for a P2 which the previous owner had lost the registration document for. It will be a little while before I am in a position to put this one back onto the road, but thought it best to get the registration doc sorted sooner rather than later. I had no problems with getting the new doc, the only thing is that it is not currently registered as a historic vehicle, and I will only be able to apply to have the taxation class changed when I do come to tax it for the first time.

Regards
Paul
RSR Post 1950 Librarian

Do you have anything which could be added to the RSR Library for the benefit of all members? Please let me know if you have.

George T

Re: Hello from Somerset

Post by George T » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi Paul. Yes the 75 is a modern one of the 2000 diesel CDT variety used mainly as the day to day workhorse but i've had a few of the expensive jobs done to it so hopefully it will be good for a few more years. I have had it for five years now, the longest I have had any car and apart from a few gas guzzelers there is'nt a lot out there that interests me a lot. As to the P2 registration, i think that applying for the owners document now rather than later is the best way forward. I mentioned it on the first posting to see if anyone knew of any major pitfalls. My worries are me missing any new legislation that in the future means that the number would not stay with the car. Thanks for taking the time out to respond. Regards George