IOE Starter Motor Bendix Issues

megatoad

IOE Starter Motor Bendix Issues

Post by megatoad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:38 am

Hi All

I have a 2l Spreadbore IOE engine in my S1 80" land rover. Over winter the starter finally ceased to work.

I took it to my local auto electrician who diagnosed that a modification wherein the previously failed drove sleeve had been packed with washers had finally caused the armature to screw itself tight had stalled the motor.

With the aid of a NOS Lucas Drive Sleeve/Bendix (part no. 54253106) (Land Rover part no. 260046) of fleabay he rebuilt the unit and got me back on the road in March.

However the rubber in the Drive Sleeve has already failed allowing the inner core to slip, which in turn caused the pinion return spring to be chewed up.

I am in the position now of do I spend another £50 on a NOS sleeve that will quite possibly fail within a few days/months or trying to find a solution.

On other LR forums I have heard of the following:

1) Welding the sleeve up - however this comes with dire warnings of chipping teeth off of, if not the entire ring gear, from the flywheel.
2) Welding heavy beads down the inner sleeve and hammering back into the rubber - Some long term success noted.
3) Modifiying a WW11 Jeep Bendix similar to that o fthe Minerva modified starter motors - 10 teeth compared to the 11 on a lucas bendix.
4) Finding an alternative to the original Sleeve (my auto electrician has seen couplings with "Lovejoy" stamped on them (http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/)

I was wondering what other fixes Rover officionadoes my have used succesfully that have suffered from the same issues on their P3 starter motors?

megatoad

Re: IOE Starter Motor Bendix Issues

Post by megatoad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 am

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:51 am

I've just had to replace the coupling drive on my Rover 14, as the inner tube had broke free from the rubber.
I got a genuine Lucas replacement part off Ebay for £35 inc postage. John Craddock @ Cannock still stock
them, but charge £53 + vat , typical Land Rover Dealer ! Have now fitted it on the starter motor
and then back on to the car and all is working well. Early days yet, but I live in hope.
Perhaps you have to as the question as to why your original starter motor coupling sleeve was packed with washers ??
Had someone had a problem before.
Rgds, Chris C.
Chris Cartmell - DVLA Liaison Officer
Rover Sport Register

1939 - Rover 14 Saloon (P2)
1975 - Rover 2200 Saloon (P6)

megatoad

Post by megatoad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Apparently the strange packing had worked well to resolve the dead rubber.

Certainly I had been using the starter in this unknown state for 6 years !! and the lad I bought the 80" back from for several years prior. ( I originally sold him the 80" as a project when he was 15 and i know he and his dad reengined it due to a cracked block)

megatoad

Post by megatoad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:26 pm

I have given up on finding alternatives for now, I bought another new old stock from Craddocks and hopefully will have that installed soon

On Saturday I assembled the new new 1st motion shaft and bearing after leaving the shaft overnight in the freezer (the wife was out at a Cub camp :D )

Then with the aid of a soft hammer and lump of wood bashed the room temperature bearing on.

I then managed to get the input shaft fitted during the torrential downpour on Saturday and reinstalled the bellhousing.

I had to stop here as I needed a split pin for the layshaft nut.

So I replaced the rear output shaft oil seal in the speedo housing