Discovery sagging headlining

Discovery sagging headlining

Postby paul williams » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am

Anyone who has had an early Discovery or Range Rover has probably suffered from the 'saggy headlining' problem. What happens is over the years the foam backing of the material used to cover the fibre board used for the headlining deteriorates and loses it's structure. What was a thin layer of foam backed material ends up as a layer of material and a layer of orange dust that used to be the backing.

I have seen various methods of repair including stapling the headlining up, injecting glue behind the lining or ripping the lining off and painting the board.

These are the pictures of the headlining in my 300tdi 3 door (1998)

Headlining sagging in front of windscreen
Image

Image

Sagging from the roof, I am lucky my car does not have any sunroofs
Image
Image

To remove the headlining all the attachments have to come off, sunvisors, interior lights, grab handles, rear window trim etc. Total dismantling time about 1 hour, then with a little tugging the whole board and lining can be pulled out.
Image

You can see the covering coming off the board leaving a layer of brown foam crumbs behind. The lines on the cloth are dirt.
Image

The reverse of the board showing the rear reinforcing plates holding the rear roof light and nets.
Image

Image

The old cloth can be pulled off leaving the powdery residue behing, this is easily removed with a stiff brush. When it was clear i painted the board with an oil based undercoat to seal the fibre board. Here is the board on an stand with the new headlining (foam backed in grey bought from a land Rover supplier on ebay) resting on the board in the sun so it 'gets used to' the shape of the board.
Image

I then used a high temperature spray on adhesive (following the safety precautions) and was able to attach the new lining to the board. I found it helpful to use a wall paper roller and a spoon to make sure the lining was in all the contours. The adhesive has to be a 'high temperature' one because the roof gets very hot in the sun and you dont want the adhesive to give way!
Image

Now it is a simple process of cutting out all the holes and refitting, for some reason this took a lot longer than the removal. Finally re-attaching all the bits and pieces after giving the a bit of a clean.
Image
Job done.
Image

it makes for a much better driving experience and with some good weather is a job that can be done in a weekend, as long as you have the material some glue and a spoon!

Now all I have to do is fix the 'death wobble' see the next installment.

Paul Williams
1929 2 litre Coachbuilt Saloon
1951 Rover Cyclops
1958 Rover P4 90 Monte-Carlo Rally Car
1998 Discovery 300Tdi 3dr
1994 Rover 620 Sli

User avatar
paul williams
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: Telford,Shropshire

Return to 4WD, from pre-production to latest RR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests