Rover 10 rear suspension

Please announce yourselves here when you join
wallis

Rover 10 rear suspension

Post by wallis » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm

I have just changed the lower bump stops on my 1936/37 Rover 10. Chassis No 701179. That,s when I noticed the rear axle is resting on the bump stops. Meteor Spares advise this is correct but opinions seem to differ. I would have thought the axle needs to be able to move away from the chassis when a wheel drops into a pot hole . I have seen another P2 where there is a 2 inch gap between the axle & the bump stops, allowing the axle to move both up & down. Should there be a gap, and if so how much?

TonyG

Re: Rover 10 rear suspension

Post by TonyG » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi,

I know it makes sense that the spring should allow upward and downward for a smooth ride. This is more the case with coil springs and even more so with a hydro-pneumatic set up that used to be fitted on some Citroens. However, leaf springs are far more basic which is why few, if any, luxury car makers fit them now.

When I restored my Tourer it had new rear springs and they pressed hard onto the new bump stops. With the body on and a tank of fuel, the springs were still resting on the bumps. However, over time the tension in the springs has reduced slightly and there is a small -half inch- gap. It drives fine. Have you renewed the springs and is the tension correct for your model?

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport

wallis

Post by wallis » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:42 am

Hi Tony

I phoned Tony Atkins recently as he restored the car in the 1980,s & he recalled buying new rear springs from the local Rover garage. He was aware that there was a difference between the springs on 1936 cars and 1937 models ( mine was reg,d 3/9/36 but is 1937 model year) so presumably bought the right ones. In view of your comments perhaps I should stop worrying.
You may be interested to know that Tony,s grandfather bought the car new in 1936 & used it in his building business for many years. By the end of the war it had done some 200,000 miles & was in a sorry state until Tony restored it. In 2011 Awdrey (AWD546) as she was known, was passed on to Peter Chester who sold her on to Hamish Orr-Ewing in January 2015. Sadly he passed away ten months later and I became the present owner.

John Wallis

TonyG

Post by TonyG » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:53 pm

John,

Great to have the history of a car and how impressive that it covered 200k miles!

Given no recent changes have been made to the springs, the ride and operation of the suspension should not be impacted by the figment of new lower bump stops other than the loss of metallic banging that could have occurred if the old rubber stops had perished badly!

Basically, if it drives and rides ok and looks right, don’t worry about it.

Sounds like a great little car though.

Tony.
Tony Gilbert

P1 12 Tourer
P2 12 6 Light Saloon
Discovery 3
Discovery Sport