Radiator mascot Viking head two versions (?)

Any parts you want or have to get rid of, tell us here
ThomasMoRo

Radiator mascot Viking head two versions (?)

Post by ThomasMoRo » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:06 pm

I am still looking for a radiator mascot for my Twelver Sports Tourer from 1948.

I would prefer the Viking head but the version with the lower helmet.

Kühlerfigur Wikinger niedrig.jpg
Kühlerfigur Wikinger niedrig.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

More often you see the version with the helmet pointing upwards.

kühlerfigur wikinger hoch.jpg
kühlerfigur wikinger hoch.jpg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 1513 times

I assume that these Vikings are very rare, aren't they?
Or can you buy them somewhere?
Rover P4 . 75 . 1958 & Rover Twelve P2 Tourer 1948

SHyslop

Re: Radiator mascot Viking head two versions (?)

Post by SHyslop » Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:13 pm

Mike Couldry should have replicas, the swept back ones being called the "Speed" pattern. Before fitting one, it is maybe useful to know that the bonnet sides are likely to catch on either version when the bonnet is opened if the Viking head is left in place. It can be a good idea to keep the Viking head for "show" and use the normal cap otherwise. Just a suggestion.

I have weighed what I know to be reproductions and what I think are originals. The copies are about 516 grams and the (presumed) original is 962 grams so I reckon the weight is probably a reasonable indication of whether you are buying an original or a copy. That's for the whole cap and base assembly, not just the head.

ThomasMoRo

Re: Radiator mascot Viking head two versions (?)

Post by ThomasMoRo » Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:11 am

SHyslop wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:13 pm
Mike Couldry should have replicas, the swept back ones being called the "Speed" pattern. Before fitting one, it is maybe useful to know that the bonnet sides are likely to catch on either version when the bonnet is opened if the Viking head is left in place. It can be a good idea to keep the Viking head for "show" and use the normal cap otherwise. Just a suggestion.

I have weighed what I know to be reproductions and what I think are originals. The copies are about 516 grams and the (presumed) original is 962 grams so I reckon the weight is probably a reasonable indication of whether you are buying an original or a copy. That's for the whole cap and base assembly, not just the head.
Many thanks for the explanations and tips.

Regards
Thomas
Rover P4 . 75 . 1958 & Rover Twelve P2 Tourer 1948