New member, purchased a car previously mentioned on the forum

Please announce yourselves here when you join
Gc20harry

New member, purchased a car previously mentioned on the forum

Post by Gc20harry » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:07 pm

Hi all,

I’ve recently purchased a 1934 Rover 14 that was previously posted on here back in 2022, see forum post below.
https://www.rover-forum.thersr.co.uk/vi ... f=5&t=5416
Following on from some of the comments in that post, we’ve had the plugs out and the engine does turn by hand but not easily.
She’s got oil in now and turning the engine over has got slightly easier but not a massive amount.
We did try the starter motor which does work but doesn’t turn the engine anywhere near quickly enough to try starting yet.
The rear seats shown in the original post unfortunately appear to have been home to a mr mouse at some point so are a bit of a mess inside but the actual leather doesn’t appear to be too bad with the exception of a few holes behind the arm rest.
I don’t think the door were mentioned in the original post but they appear to need some work on the internal woodwork so any tips on that/the rest of the car would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry

paul williams

Re: New member, purchased a car previously mentioned on the forum

Post by paul williams » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:10 pm

Welcome to the RSR Forum, and congratulations on your purchase.

With regards to your 'stiff' engine have you disconnected the fan belt in case of seized dynamo or water pump.

Best Wishes
Paul

Paul Williams
1929 2litre Saloon
1934 P1 10HP
1951 Rover Cyclops
1974 P6 3500
1998 LR Discovery I

Gc20harry

Re: New member, purchased a car previously mentioned on the forum

Post by Gc20harry » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ve disconnected the fan belt from the dynamo and the engine is still very hard to turn.
Where the belt joins the fan and the dynamo both turn easily by hand so I’m hoping that they’re both ok.
I did have the car pushed up the driveway in gear over the weekend and it felt easier to turn after doing so. However when I’ve turned it over this evening it feels just as stiff as before.